Reggae stars Sean Paul and Shaggy are among a list of celebrities endorsing the American Eagle “Help Haiti Heal” T-Shirt campaign.
The campaign is to raise funds to rebuild and support schools in Haiti.
Ten months after the devastating January 12 earthquake that killed more than 200,000 people, 1.3 million are still living in tent cities in Port-au-Prince, and more than 500,000 children need the opportunity to get a good education.
Other stars endorsing the “Help Haiti Heal” T-Shirt campaign include “The Edge, Ryan Seacrest, The Script, Joaquin Phoenix, Mark Ruffalo, Paul Bettany, Don Cheadle, Katharine McPhee and Garcelle Beauvais.
In a press release American Eagle Outfitters said:
Beginning January 3, 2011, limited-edition, AE-designed “Help Haiti Heal” T-shirts will be sold in more than 900 American Eagle Outfitters stores throughout the U.S., and worldwide at www.ae.com/haiti. The T-shirts were made in Haiti, by Haitians, to mark the first anniversary of the earthquake and raise awareness about the continuing need to help Haiti heal. The entire purchase price of US $15.50 will be donated to Concern Worldwide’s education program in Haiti, with the potential to raise as much as US $1 million.
International superstars like The Edge, Ryan Seacrest, The Script, Joaquin Phoenix, Mark Ruffalo, Paul Bettany, Don Cheadle, Garcelle Beauvais, Shaggy and Sean Paul – to name but a few – have come on board to help spread the word and encourage everyone to buy and wear a “Help Haiti Heal” T-shirt. Celebrity images will be featured on the 25-story LED screens outside American Eagle Outfitters’ Times Square flagship store.
The proceeds raised from the sale of the Help Haiti Heal T-shirts will contribute to Concern’s overall education program in Haiti, which will reach 30,000 children. The proceeds raised from the sale of the Help Haiti Heal t-shirts will:
* Rebuild and repair two schools that were destroyed during the earthquake
* Train 40 new teachers and school officers.
* Provide 1,000 earthquake-affected children with access to primary education.
* Equip the two schools with classroom furniture (desks, chairs), learning resources and teaching equipment.
* Install clean water systems, latrines and sanitation at the two schools.
* Ensure that the most vulnerable children in the communities receive a primary education.
* Help pay the salaries of teachers.