The 2011 Soul Train Awards was broadcast on Sunday night (November 27) on BET, after being taped on November 17th at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta, GA.
Some big winners include Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown, Beyonce, Kelly Rowland and Mary Mary.
Rihanna won ‘Best Caribbean Performance’ for her reggae inspired single ‘Man Down’. Among the nominees in that category includes Mavado, Vybz Kartel, Machel Montano and Kes The Band.
Beyonce won Best Dance Performance, while Chris Brown take home Album of the Year for F.A.M.E.
Other winners at star-studded celebration included Miguel for ‘Best New Artist’, Cee-Lo Green for ‘Best Male R&B and Soul’, Mary Mary for ‘Best Gospel Performance’, Kelly Rowland for ‘Song of the Year’, and Marsha Ambrosius for ‘Record of the Year’.
The event paid homage to the late Heavy D, who was remembered by his close pals Naughty by Nature, Doug E. Fresh, Kurtis Blow and Goodie Mob.
See full list of winners below.
• Best New Artist: Miguel
• Best Male R&B and Soul: Cee-Lo Green
• Best Caribbean Performance: Rihanna – “Man Down”
• Best Gospel Performance: Mary Mary – “Walking”
• Album of the Year: Chris Brown – “F.A.M.E.”
• Best Hip-Hop Song: Nicki Minaj – “Moment for Life”
• Best Female R&B and Soul Artist: Jill Scott
• Song of the Year: Kelly Rowland – “Motivation”
• Record of the Year (Ashford & Simpson Songwriter’s Award): Marsha Ambrosius – “Far Away”
• Best Dance Performance: Beyonce Knowles – “Run the World (Girls)”
• Best Traditional Jazz Album: Cassandra Wilson
• Best Contemporary Jazz Album: Dave Koz